Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Dadaism Extra Credit


                    Block of Cheese
When I first heard that we were going to be working with plaster, I was dreading this project. I began carving into the plaster, desperately trying to make some sort of interesting shape or form out of the hard white block. I realized that there was no way I could create an interesting curved figure out of the block with the clay tools available, so I decided to make something much simpler. I felt my plaster, and realized that it had the same texture as cheese; smooth and soft. I then decided to make a slice of a block of cheese, and carved downwards, adding big holes as I went. At the end, it didn't look quite like cheese, so I painted it yellow to make it more obvious. I did not particularly enjoy working with the plaster, but I did enjoy learning this new method. I have worked with plaster before; back in middle school, I made a human figure out of strips of player, which I did not enjoy. This project made working with plaster easier and more enjoyable than my past experiences with this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment