Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pencil Self Portrait


I learned alot while completing this self portrait drawing. I started trying to get the proportions perfect and measure everything exactly, but as I drew in things like the eyes and nose, I realized that the portrait looked nothing like me.  After I got the general size and shape of the face to match my exact measurements, I divided up my paper like was shown on the board.  I then filled in everything with hair, eyebrows, etc, and then went back in and resized everything so that it actually looked like me.  The challenge of this project was just going by my eye's judgement of staring at myself and then trying to draw something exactly like it.  I thought I was terrible at drawing everything before this project, but I'm actually very proud of my self portrait.  I learned how to make realistic drawings and get sizing accurate while going on just the eye, not exact measurements all the time. Faces aren't ever perfectly porportional, so I decided that measurements would just be a guideline and I would do things like shorten the nose and make it wider than the assumed "exact" measurements. The hardest thing for me was making the eyse perfect; one was bigger than the other and then I erased part of it and couldn't get it to be symmetrical with the other one again.  The shading and drawing other features was alot easier for me because I didnt have to match it up exaclty with another feature on the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment